- Recite the verse reference (for example: “Psalm 119:11”)
- Recite the verse
- Recite verse reference, again
Repeat this process three times during one sitting every day, looking at the verse less and less each time. Usually you’ll have it memorized within a week—or at least almost memorized! ;)
Consider keeping a Scripture Memory Cards (SMC) with you throughout the day. It provides an easy meditation tool while waiting in long lines, at red lights, or any time you need His presence.
Filling in the Blank Method: (This is a fun way to test your progress.)
- Write down the entire verse(s) with no blanks.
- Each time after that, leave a blank for one of the words, adding more blanks each day.
- Then, fill in the blanks from memory.
- Do this each day until eventually you only have blanks to be filled in.
This next one is a similar tip I heard from a radio episode of Adventures in Odyssey, “Hidden in My Heart.”:
“Make a game of it to play with friends or family. Write the verse on a large sheet of paper. Then cut out the words making it into a puzzle. After you put it together, remove one piece at a time. See if you can repeat the verse after each word is removed.”
Fun While Traveling Idea: (Can be done while taking trips in the car, or around the dinner table.)
- Each participant writes down the memory verse(s) before the trip begins.
- Recite the Scripture as a group.
- While looking at the scripture, the first person starts by reciting the first word, the second person recites the second word of the memory verse(s), etc.
- Continue around the group until the whole verse is quoted.
- Make it a goal to be able to do this without looking at the memory verse(s).
First Letter of Each Word Prompt:
Write out the verse on one side of an index card. On the reverse side, write only the first letter followed by a blank for each word. For example:
Psalm 18:1 (NIV)
I love you, LORD, my strength.
Psalm 18:1 (NIV)
I l___ y__, L___, m__ s____.
After reading the verse several times, I flip the card over and try to recall the verse using the side with the blanks. You will be amazed how quickly you’re able to master memorizing verses with this method!